Whether you use yardage in colors to celebrate your favorite sports team or a jelly roll to make a personal statement, this graphic chevron quilt goes together quick with only two blocks. Learn the basics of applique to embellish the quilt with either your pick of sports balls or monogram. Instructions provided to make baseball, football (American), global football/soccer, basketball, and a circular monogram embellishment.
When it times to do the thing with the points, you want your team to play the hardest! Show your spirit with this fun quilt, perfect for everything from little league to professional sports teams. For the non-sportsy types, use a personal monogram with your favorite 2½” precut strip set or jelly roll to take advantage of the simple construction for maximum impact.
Finished size: 68”x 68”
- For the Team Color quilt from yardage:
- Team Color 1 / Background – 3 yd
- Team Color 2 – 1 1/2 yd
- Team Accent Color (usually white, gray, or black): 1 1/2 yd
- Binding – 1/2 yd
- Backing 4 1/2 yd
- For the Jelly Roll Quilt version:
- Background – 3 yd
- 1 jelly roll, or at least 37 2-1/2″ x WOF strips (this also includes the binding)
- Backing 4 1/2 yd
- For the sports balls:
- Baseball: 1 FQ white fabric, package 1/4″ iron-on black bias tape or black fabric to make ¼: wide bias tape, scraps of red fabric and paper-backed fusible web
- Football (Global)/ Soccer: 1 FQ white fabric, 1 fat eighth black fabric, and paper backed fusible web
- Football (American): 1 FQ brown fabric. Scraps of white fabric and paper backed fusible web
- Basketball: 1 FQ orange fabric, package 1/4″ iron-on black bias tape or black fabric to make ¼” wide bias tape.
- For the Monogram:
- 1 fat quarter for the circle
- 1 FQ quarter the monogram
- 18” square of paper backed fusible web
- Access to the internet and a printer if you’d like to use a formal font to create the monogram, or you can draw your own. Instructions provided on our website.
- Standard quilting and sewing notions
- Sewing machine capable for both straight and zigzag or buttonhole stitch
- White thread (American football) or black thread (all other sports)
- Thread to match ball color
- Optional: Applique pressing sheet
Strips – 2 1/2″